Tuesday, August 24, 1999

Building a Tepee Part Deux

I went shopping in town today.  

After spending the morning going to three stores, I deliberated on what fabric I would purchase to create the foundation for my home. There were several options, but this was an important decision. Not only was it my first purchased possession, but also its purpose was the most basic of all human needs: shelter.

I never thought I would hear my glamorous NYC ears hear that I was about to spend every cent I had on something hideous and boring. It was all practical and not at all about aesthetics. My plan is to beautify it later. It is more important to keep out insects and undesirables than for my tepee to be attractive. Initially.

I bought a blue tarp, rope and needle and thread. It’s even a little boring to write about it right now.

Having said this cannot deny that amazing accomplishment that I created my house in one afternoon! After I returned from shopping,  I sewed the rope to the middle of the tarp and attached it to the tree. I gathered some rocks and pulled out the tarp so that it was tepee shaped. I doubled over a piece of the fabric for an opening. I laid down my sarong as my floor/carpet and slept like a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment