Thursday, August 19, 1999

Working

Working this job surprised me. I was doing what every one does to maintain their homes. I was just like anyone else, yet it seemed different because of the way it made me feel.

This job made me realize the value of possessions. It was worth it to me work at a farmers market for a weekend to be able to buy fabric for my home.

I was a bit nervous while I was setting up the booth (table of fruits and vegetables). I was going to be around many of people and have a lot of interactions.  My other employment in NYC was bellydancing. When I bellydance, everyone asks me afterwards the same few questions.  Most of the time they ask,  “Where did you learn to bellydance?” This gave me pause that I would be asked personal questions and I was unprepared to talk about my current life. It was too new.

There were many booths and the market had a carnival type of atmosphere. There was a band playing music and people danced. All the people tending the booths had nicknames. No one was just Joe. There was Piano Joe, JT Joe, Mountain Matt, and Barbeque John. Many booths sold tourist items, as this farmer’s market had the appeal to locals and tourists.

What happened amazed me. Mostly what happened to me. No one asked about my personal life. They simply asked about the fruits and veggies. Some wanted to know how to eat the sugar cane, others wanted to know what a breadfruit tasted like. It was an island novelty for some and for others, their weekly produce.

 I was thoroughly in the moment all weekend. During the conversations, I was not thinking of the future or the past. I wasn’t asked to think about where I live, what I do for a living or where I came from.  I was completely present and I never felt so alive!  

No comments:

Post a Comment