Wednesday, August 4, 1999

The Day After I was Rescued by Dolphins

I awoke traumatized. I didn’t really know what to do, so I thought something familiar would soothe my nerves. I went to the beach. I put my feet in the water and found that I was a little afraid of the water. I went all the way in, but came right out. I sat on my sarong and thought about what I was going to do. I didn’t want to call Eddie. I didn’t want to tell him that I got myself into such a mess, that I almost died, that all our possessions were gone and I didn’t want to ask him for money. I don’t like asking for help. I am very proud.

It was still early, but I went into the shade under the palm trees. No that knew me would think twice if they saw me here. They would think that one of the other family members had checked me back in. I was safe for a little bit. I took a long nap.

When I was stirring from my nap, I wondered about my boat and what should happen if someone found it. Who knows what condition it would be in, what contents would still be in it, would I be in trouble for being negligent? I decided that the only person I could trust to tell the story to was Mervin. He knew everyone by being raised on the island and he also worked in conservation.  Maybe I could ask him for a bit of cash, so I could survive.

Luck was not on my side (or so I thought) since Mervin was away in Virgin Gorda for a few days, working. I survived by eating coconuts, mangoes and accepted every camper’s BBQ invitation.

What the hell should I do? 

Should I leave the Caribbean and head back to NYC? It sure seems like all the signs are pointing in that direction. Eddie leaves, I get an offer to work if I return and now I’ve lost everything I own.

Should I become a cocktail waitress in Road Town? It’s a lovely town and I could just work and live the simple life here. I could even save up and then return to NYC.

Should I get my savings account in NYC and live at Brewer’s Bay for the rest of the year? The money would just get me by for the year. I could just make it financially. But this option means I have to tell Eddie or one of my close friends how badly I screwed up.

{I don’t think a thought of the dolphins entered my mind once today.}

 

No comments:

Post a Comment