Monday, June 14, 1999

Building our campsite


I have spent most of my life dreaming, longing and wanting for something or someone or to be somewhere. To be here and see my dreams come true is not easy. To manifest what I have wanted for so long is difficult because I have spent so much time in the state of desire that now I am accustomed to it. It’s odd and awkward because I don’t know what do with myself. I squandered so much time wishing that now trying to enjoy it is utterly foreign to me.

I was so excited that I had to resist not waking up Eddie before the sun rose (our rule). I took a walk and tried to let it settle in that I had not imagined it: this is the perfect beach. I had arrived. All the preparation was completed and here I was staring at my dreams. Now what?

The truth is there was so much to do, it made my head spin. We had to create our entire campsite. I had read nearly every camping and survival book written.  I might have been overly educated, according to Eddie. I always quoted books I had read, while he used instinct for most decisions.  I knew that setting up a campsite for an extended period of time, much preparation to planning was necessary. When you are planning to live somewhere for extended period of time, it is different than if you were setting up a campsite for a weekend. Things cannot be set up haphazardly. The placements of our shelter, water collection, fire and latrines have to be well thought out.

Most survival books I read were about cases of extreme basic existence. In these situations, shelter should be the first thing addressed. In the dawn’s early light, I re-read The US Army Survival Book. It says that shelter protects you from insects, weather and enemy observation. (No worries here) They went on to say that shelter gives you a sense of well-being and can help your will to survive.  

I thought about this concept for a while. Shelter is one of our basic necessities. Most of our lives are spent searching for, building, cleaning, furnishing and working for our homes. This preoccupies our time whether we are rich or poor. One must lie their head down to rest each night and desires protection from the elements and or his predators. It’s an inescapable part of life. Where we sleep is important to everyone, whether you are a transient or the type who like to grow roots like a tree or someone who travels the world or has never left his hometown. I giggle as I glimpse the lizards that make their home in a rotted coconut shell. I think to myself, dreams do come true and I can manifest anything I want. However, longing for my dreams is part of the fun – so enjoy the process along the way.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment