Sunday, June 27, 1999

Mosquitoes

Apparently I haven’t read every survival book, or at least properly. We should have covered the water reservoir because we apparently created the perfect storm of mosquitoes. They have appeared at an alarming rate. They devoured both Eddie and my feet the first few nights in Brewer’s Bay, but we eventually stopped scratching. They didn’t exist on Rogue’s bay until we unknowingly left our water out to create the perfect habitat for them.

This prohibits us from doing anything outside of the ocean or secure tent. They have become an enemy army. First they attack with their whiny little buzz in your ear. Then, I search for them flailing my arms everywhere. I usually end up hitting myself really hard without harming these evil creatures from hell.

Earlier, I tried a different approach that proved catastrophic. I decided to try mind control, using the mind body connection. So many people claim that these beasts do not bite them. It worked very well in the sense that I am now the most bitten person I have ever seen.

The day was spent running from them and the night is spent trying not to grab a fork and beginning scratching with this utensil. The worst part is: I don’t know how to end the agony. I do not want to compromise and use chemicals. Substances like OFF damage the oceans, rivers, forests and our bodies. I wont use it.

These chemicals are against all that I believe in and use of them supports my theories of how people became separated from nature. I understand its all for some comfort. We search to soothe the mosquito bite now and use some chemicals that damage the earth in their making and are carcinogenic to us. We sacrifice nature for our comfort. But if I compromise my philosophy now, then the line will continue to move until I don’t have anything that I believe in or stand for.

There must be some natural substance that can heal these bug bites. There is always a plant for everything.  I wish there was a medicine man on the top of the hill that had all the knowledge of his previous generations to impart all the plant remedies that they had come to know. I would like to compile a book of all these remedies. I wish I knew the lesson to learn from this. Who could have imagined that mosquitoes would be our fiercest enemies? 

No comments:

Post a Comment