Thursday, June 3, 1999

Which Island did I Choose?

I saw this picture and the decision was made.

Thoreau's Walden profoundly inspired me and I always wanted to do what he did: leave the distractions of the daily grind to find out the meaning of life. He wrote his philosophical book while living in the woods in a house that he had built himself, on the shore of Walden Pond, in Concord, Massachusetts.

I chose the tropical beach version. But I didn’t just randomly select Tortola; it was months of research (before Google) to select the perfect Island. If you think about it, there are thousands of islands and even coastlines around the world. Narrowing down the decision wasn’t an easy task. I put all my top desires on a list and began my pursuit for the perfect isle.

My desires for this seaside adventure included several things. It had to be a place that was warm, desolate, English-speaking and where I could surf. Then I compared it to Thoreau’s experience. After doing this, I added to my list that I wanted to live off the land and be near to civilization to visit occasionally.

What happened next was reality entered into my fantasy. There were practical things that I was neglecting and these were the criteria that eventually made the determination. If I were to live off the land, I couldn’t just go to Club Med or crash on someone’s property in Malibu. I needed a place that I could legally do this – or at least be left alone to live. Through a few friends, I found that one entire side of a magnificent coast of Tortola in the British Virgin Islands has remained undeveloped. He added that there was raging surf on this wild and rugged side and was perfect for those seeking the elemental side of life with several bays inaccessible by land, only by boat.

 

The other decisive factor was food. I found that Tortola’s ancestors had planted avocadoes, mangoes, coconuts and breadfruit all over the island. These foods are high in nutrients and you could survive on these foods. Ghandi (though thin) lived exclusively on avocadoes for years during protest.


Brewer’s Bay –

Until we find our ultimate secluded beach, we are staying at a campsite that remains one of Tortola's most well known yet private beaches. The beach is gorgeous! There are a few reasons this area is so secluded. Access by road consists of switchbacks and steep descents some would rather not attempt. Access from the water is off limits to all charter yachts because of power cables lying across the cove. It’s a quiet haven. The tents are right on the beach and are covered with mosquito netting that have enclosed "porch" area for the propane stove, lantern and such. The sound of the lapping waves is dreamy.  It’s an ideal place for us to stay until we find our definitive isolated beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment