Wednesday, June 2, 1999

How did I take a year off from the Big Apple and live on an Island?

To begin with, I must say these three things: 1) taking a year off from your entire life, is never easy before you leave 2) It is so worth it 3) It is easier to do when you are young with the least amount of responsibilities.

I am young and do not have children. But I still had a life in NYC that I created, am attached to and had a hard time leaving.  I worried mostly about what I would return to. The hardest part was tying up every last piece. Red tape. The easiest part was arriving here and realizing how little those things matter now that I am here.

Now let’s discuss money. I had no idea really how much I needed. I wanted to live off the land and not spend a single dollar, but naturally I couldn’t take a year off penniless! Turns out there were many expenses before I left the country and as soon as arrived (and probably when and if I return). I raised as much money as I could: I worked several jobs, I saved, sold everything I owned that I wasn’t bringing with me, and I cashed in my investments. I didn’t need to, but I would have borrowed (and begged) money, applied for loans, grants or had my trip sponsored.  The amount I brought with me is $5,439.50

When I left, I had many jobs to quit. I had coveted jobs bellydancing at cafes, restaurants and nightclubs that I had to quit and knew that I would be replaced immediately. I am fortunate that the probability is good that I can work again at one of these places, or find another bellydance gig in NYC – or anywhere! The more difficult occupation to leave was telling my talent agent that I was quitting acting, or at least leaving for a year. They had taken a chance by signing me a year ago with little experience and had been building my career. They felt betrayed and said to not dare call them when I returned. Drama!

Okay, here comes the one that will make every New Yorker gasp in horror. I had a gorgeous brownstone in Chelsea that I paid $500 a month for a legal sublet that I had to say goodbye to. I heard that after I leave, it would be rented for $3500. I could have illegally subletted it or calculated some other shady scenario to keep the dream NYC living locale, but I chose to let it go. Cie la vie.

The red tape was tedious and the list grew daily. Now, many of these things I did could have been neglected or I could have dealt with the consequences upon my return.  Just a sampling: Give/sell all possessions, but keep the essentials until the last minute, Mail had to be redirected (or held as I chose) for entire year. The endless questions: do you get travel health insurance? (no) Do you keep some money here in an account for security (yes). Cancel all credit cards (you cant pay for them while out of the country). Taxes. A contact address.

My friends were the hardest of all to leave. Unlike everything else, my friends would be there when I returned, but they were the things on this list that made me question my thirst for adventure. When it came down to reality, my friends ARE my LIFE, not my belongings. My friends did not make it easy for me, either. They worried, they complained, they asked at least a million questions daily, they didn’t understand, and they thought I had gone bananas.

I also had my doubts and fears that arouse. And argued with my boyfriend Eddie, who was my partner on this journey here. It wasn’t an easy journey to get here, but it had to be done. This journey had to happen and whatever had to be done to get here was possible.

I believe anything that you truly want is possible and I believe everyone can do their own version of taking a year off, even with children, should they choose to. Anyone can take a year off from working to write a novel, travel the world, and do yoga every morning or return to health. If you have the desire and the courage to make it happen, it will be the year you remember most. Probably most fondly, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment