Tuesday, September 7, 1999

Is My Mind Free?

I haven’t seen Isaiah since last week. He was at court for a hearing and probation paperwork. He returned today and had a lot to say on the subject and the fact that he was a subject of the Queen.  The verity that he served time in prison makes Isaiah extremely bitter because Tortola is a white British colony and Isaiah’s ancestors were slaves.

Isaiah talked about his dignity during all the mistreatment he experienced while he had to be in prison. “54-75 was my number and now it is someone else’s number. They can treat I as a slave, but I don’t behave like a slave.”

His diatribe evolved into a brilliant rant about how so many people still act like slaves. “They have the slave mentality. They think like a slave does, but no one is treating them like slaves. They took the shackles off their feet, but now the shackles are on their minds. You aren’t truly free until you free yourself from shame, hopeless way of thinking. You have to take back the power that you give these people. They aren’t oppressing you anymore, you choose to be oppressed.”

It goes without saying that slavery is one of the most atrocious and shameful acts of humanity.  I cannot imagine it as my personal history.  After 400 years, it must be difficult to change behaviors.

Isaiah has been my mentor here, my shaman and guru. He teaches me daily how to live from the basic necessities to my spiritual growth. I wanted to help him now during his trials. I awkwardly apologized for all of white men and asked him if I could do anything. He laughed, “Child, you are in more trouble than I, you do not have a passport!”

It was a nice moment between us, as he usually doesn’t speak as straight towards me. He often teaches me in a way that is poetic or simple without room for a response from me.  I took the opening as opportunity to ask him directly why he decided to take me under his wing. He responded that I reminded him of him in the sense that I am idealistic, proud and funny. I learn quickly. He added that I was wild and someone needed to teach me how to do what I set out to do, or I was going to hurt myself.

He said that he told me about slavery because this mentality is not restricted to his ancestors. Many people enslave themselves to thinking they are oppressed or cannot do something. This they are doing to themselves and I should search my heart and see where my mind is not free.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment