Wednesday, September 22, 1999

Who Loves the Sun?

I was deep into my depression and going through typical breakup symptoms, without the relief of ice cream. Nothing sounded good to me and the bright sun was almost an insult. Where was a hurricane when you needed one? As the Velvet Underground says in their song, “Who loves the sun, who cares that it is shining, who cares since you broke my heart.”

I was not worried about my passport or even how to get out of my financial hole. Isaiah gave me Rastafarian speeches and quoted Bob Marley to, “lively up myself and don’t be no drag”. Nothing seemed to work and I seriously entertained the thought of returning to NYC.

I took a walk, though it was more like a hike. It was to the top of the hill that overlooks Brewer’s Bay. I hiked hard and exhausted myself to the point that I couldn’t think. It felt great. When I reached the top, I could see the entire bay, and a few bays over. It reminded me when I first moved to NYC and went to the top of the Empire State Building and imagined all the wonderful things that would happen to me there. I felt the same way at the top of this mountain. I knew I wasn’t finished with my adventure in the BVI. I didn’t know what to do next, but I knew that I had more experiences to come. Clouds appeared out of nowhere, suddenly, and it began to rain hard. I laughed at what seemed to be a funny joke that was being played on me. I craved rain earlier, but now that I felt free of my pain, down came the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment