Thursday, September 2, 1999

Today is one month since dolphins rescued me


Today is one month since dolphins rescued me. I only know this because Mervin came by to visit early this morning. He reminded me and pointed out that I have not been going to the ocean very much since. I knee-jereked defended myself and disagreed, explaining that Isaiah has been away and I was sewing my tepee.

He was right. There were many circumstances that kept me away, though it takes only 10-minute walk to the beach from Isaiah’s camp! I was working on the farm, and making a shelter, gathering wood and working! However, I had no rules at all with Isaiah and he would never complain if I woke up with a swim or swam at sunset or anytime!

The ocean has been such a healing place for me for all these years. I have had great comfort from powerful oceans such as the Pacific Ocean in Northern California’s Santa Cruz. The irony that I had my most gnarly near drowning was in the peaceful Caribbean was not lost on me that morning.

I continued to talk to Mervin and said proudly, “I am going to the beach now.” He shared with me how the people of Brandy Wine were talking about the rescue. He hadn’t found my boat, but hasn’t been to all the bays in Tortola yet. Sometimes he had to go the office to do paperwork on leatherback turtle tracks that he found or even photograph them. There was good news this month and he has been very busy with the conservancy.

We parted ways once we got to the water’s edge. He had work to do and said he would see me later.

Truth be told, I was avoiding the ocean. Not necessarily because I was afraid of drowning, but because I was avoiding thinking about the rescue and my current situation. Sure, I was learning so many valuable things with Isaiah and I had survived for a month! But I still was in a jam – without a passport or money.

I was also avoiding thinking or talking about the dolphin rescue.  Too amazing. Too traumatic. I don’t understand what happened or why they rescued me. Or maybe I am making a bigger deal of it than it is. It’s just part of my adventure. Every backpacker trekking Europe loses their money,  passports and has stories of sleeping at the Louvre, right? It’s just another young traveler experience.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment