Tuesday, July 27, 1999

Club Med Party

With Eddie leaving, I decided to make the most of his time here. I became resolute do all the things I would never do by myself or once I am living in solitude.

Eddie, Theo, Andy, Mervin and I went over to Myetts in Cane Garden for a beach party complete with contests. It was to be a “Club Med” type of day, which would normally put me up on my soapbox, spouting, “How did they miss the point?” But I decided to truly enjoy every minute I had left with Eddie.

Mervin and I swim ritually everyday and we decided that we were certain to win every swim contest. We got ourselves worked up into such excitement with the thought of Reggae music, barbeque, contests, volleyball and winning prizes! When we got there it was a big disappointment. The weather got stormy, the crowd was small and the music was terrible.  The worst news of all was that the swimming competitions were cancelled due to lack of entrants.  We were devastated!

Very few people entered the corny contests because they were trying to be “cool”, but Eddie and I love any new adventures. Besides the fact that the winner received a case of Heineken beer!  The first game was the sack race. There were 7 of us lined up on the beach, the DJ announced the race and the crowd casually watched with slight disdain. Turns out, I am lousy at the sack race, falling way behind. However, Eddie was a great jumper and I screamed when he won! After everyone saw him walk away with a case of 24 beers, all the other contests were full.

We encouraged the master of ceremonies that there were actually enough people to do the swim contest: all 5 of us! We were guaranteed a case for our little commune. Ironically, Andy, the smoker and the long-shot won!

We celebrated all night with dancing, doing the limbo and drinking our prize winnings. It was a classic Caribbean vacation day, one that would normally fill me with horror. I would have found it too pedantic, sophomoric and ordinary. I would have had written pages of how far we have missed the point as human beings! However, since I surrendered into enjoying my precious time with Eddie, I found it delightful, breezy, and just plain fun. I lightened up and I like my new attitude.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment