Thursday, July 1, 1999

Treehouse

I say with mixed emotions that I will be moving again. Most probable we will move into a treehouse that someone built at Brewer’s Bay. I am becoming conscious that as I search for a home in the Caribbean for my experiment, that wherever I am home. I was very attached to Rogue’s Bay and the concept of living there. Because of its beauty and isolation, it represented the idea I had after reading Walden.  However, it really is just an attachment not necessarily true or based in reality. I could be justifying the fact that I am giving up my dream and that is depressing. Unknown.

As fond of as I am about the finer things in life, I always feel relieved when my favorite possessions are lost or stolen. I no longer need that attachment that begins to burden me. I have many belongings still in San Francisco and New York City. It is liberating to have just a few items with me right now.  How nice to be a gypsy, traveling from place to place with what I can carry on my back.  Settling down for the comfort of security sounds like such a compromise that it borders on subjugation. Actually how many belongings would a person truly possess if they had to literally carry them on their back everyday? The more personal effects a person owns, the heavier the burden is. Even if you don’t actually carry them on your back, there is the encumbrance of protecting them from being stolen or time spent cleaning them. We gather and hoard our “treasures” when the most magnificent treasures could never be owned or gathered.

There was an awesome storm today, forcing us to look up into the sky filled with lightening. Look and listened we did. It was the beginning of a hurricane. Combined with the fact that the motor on our boat was not working and the severity of the storm, we were kept at Brewer’s Bay all day and possibly for another day and night. We were not expecting this naturally, how could we? We only have a few belongings with us and all of our possessions are improperly stored at Rogue’s Bay for rain. Momentarily, I worried about my stuff being blown away or destroyed.  I judged myself for having this feeling, for although our property is precious to us, we really didn’t need them. Ultimately, there are no material creations that are essential to my existence.

After I pondered possessions, I decided to cheer Mother Nature on. I ran onto the beach in the rain. I told her to speak with her brilliance, that I am listening to what she has to say. I wanted to see her growth and power. I said aloud, “ show me your magnificence, my eyes are open to see.” I was ready to understand her mysterious ways. I surrendered to the path that was being laid out for me. I was finished with fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment