Monday, July 12, 1999

Thoreau


Thoreau has been my hero and my inspiration for this experiential journey into nature I am on. When he went to Walden Pond for two years, he wrote a book, which would eventually become his philosophies, his own guidebook to life. That is what I want for myself.  His journey into Walden Pond was a journey into his spirit. His comments about society and nature as just as relevant now as they were then, though so much has changed since then: automobiles, plastic, television, telephone, airplanes, rocketships, computers, refrigeration. Those previous items are not destroying the planet per se, but rather the insatiable desire human beings have for comfort.  Our desire for comfort has moved us further away from nature. We have removed most of our natural predators and those annoying bugs. Most people now live in an urban setting.

The human race has never been more interconnected in all of its history. Our communication runs at a rapid speed and we know what is happening around the globe at all times. Its potential is phenomenal.  However, we have never been more disconnected with nature, most people living in an urban setting. Every aspect of life on this planet is profoundly altered by the way our culture has organized its business of its existence.

Feeling frustrated, helpless and confused on exactly how to live my life by my philosophies (most of which are being discovered now) in a culture where every action seems to support the destruction of the Earth, I sought refuge, clarity and answers by living thorough in harmony with nature. Fortunately, I will have many more days and nights here to experience nature’s lessons that will lead to some answers. I want enough answers to get some direction on how to proceed in this world, as we know it. I am lost.

I still want to be a part of society because I love humanity! I know I still have a lot to learn from people, therefore I do not desire to live out all my days of my life here on this island. At the moment however, I do not know how I would live once I return to the civilization.

It seems as if the damage done to the planet has already gone too far and there is no turning back time. The rainforest are disappearing and soon we won’t believe be able to breathe. The landfills are filled with garbage that may never biodegrade.  People are now attempting to recycle their bottles and cans, though large companies neglect their own responsibility of using recycled materials.  On cans of coke, it says, “Please recycle” as if it is the consumer’s responsibility, as if we have the capabilities of melting glass and aluminum in our kitchens, next to our toaster and coffee makers. They killed the electric car and we are using up our oil so fast, soon we will run out and not be able to fly anywhere anymore.

So what is my responsibility? Do I continue to live in harmony with nature, as just one person in a sea of pollution, but living according to my philosophies? Or do I volunteer and dedicate my life to organizations that work to change the direction of the destruction? Or has it gone too far and should I just enjoy my life? Human’s inner-spirit must change in order to have a profound affect on their behavior towards the earth. Do I pray for change? Do I do it all, or I do I do none? Will we just end up like the dinosaurs, our death a mystery to future forms of existence? Or will we completely annihilate the planet and energies will become some other realm? Or will us humans over come this spiritual darkness to save the planet only to read about this time in history as the most important war ever fought? Not for country’s territories or religion, but the war to save the planet? I pray for the latter comment and the wisdom to accept all the different possibilities of perfection.

All these questions have been on my mind for quite some time, long before this journey into nature was a concept, but have consumed my thoughts today. Eddie and I discussed the omnipresent earth crisis. Over population and the earth seems to be headed towards some drastic change. He talked about some theories of politics being evil, but I believe that another human may be able to hurt my body and heart, but never has the capability of touching my soul. For these reasons and many others, I would like to start my own tribe, dedicated to peace and to the earth. I know from my childhood that communal living has many obstacles, but I am still idealistic in the concept of finding a secluded piece of land to live according the groups political and spiritual philosophies.

Eddie and I discussed these dreams of mine and he is interested, but he, “has something he needs to produce”. I must respect his desires, though it is difficult because we are at different places. He desires R&R before he begins a project back in NYC. I am here to explore further and further into myself, and the NYC me has become a blurry remembrance of an old me. I love him, no matter what he does for a living, but I certainly wish he had different goals.

Whilst I contemplate the salvation of mother Gaia and my responsibility, asking the universe for answers and exploring the possibility of developing a new society, Eddie also ponders.  He keeps in touch with his contacts in NYC through a phone at the main camp and involves many large corporations. It is becoming more of a reality and one of the large corporations involved is Mitsubishi. It is flattering and exciting for Eddie, but bewildering to me because the company is the single largest loggers of the Brazilian Rainforest. Eddie doesn’t feel he has the power to eliminate such an economical possibility at this point in his career. I feel that human’s cannot wait until they are in the perceived position to make a difference. You must follow your beliefs NOW!

Although no decisions needed to be made today, the possibility of needing to make this decision weighed heavily on Eddie. I cannot force my beliefs onto him. I want to guide, but never force. I realize it is tough for him and I was compassionate.

1 comment: