Friday, July 2, 1999

Living in a Tree


We have now made a new home in a treehouse in Brewer’s Bay. Although someone originally built this sweet home in an almond tree, we are going to add to it to make it feel like our home. The pathway is severely overgrown, since the original occupant moved out long ago. It has so much lush foliage surrounding it that it is completely hidden from any other camp on the grounds.  I must admit that (since I was so attached to Rogue’s Bay) it is thoroughly enchanting. So much so that we have named it the Enchanted Jungle.  It is only moments from the sandy beach and warm aqua colored ocean, but has a jungle environment. There are many banana, papayas, coconuts and even avocado trees at our ‘doorstep’. It feels so different to be elevated with my feet dangling over the edge of our ‘porch’ just outside the tent. The perspective is that of another tree and feeling the leafy branches blow around with the trade winds is one of the magical feelings I have ever experienced. One I would not have chosen to sacrifice to live again in Rogue’s Bay.

There were many blessings during our grace before our meal tonight. Even though I have been a vegetarian as long as I could make the decision, I believe in the Native American Indian philosophies of hunting. They do not kill animals gratuitously and they take on the energy of the animal they killed. They kill responsibly.  I will eat meat if it is done this way. Eddie had caught his first fish since we arrived. He had been out spear fishing many times, but could not catch a fish until today. It was a beautiful Rock Hind and he prayed and gave thanks to one of his brothers who gave his life to nourish our bodies. It was a beautiful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment