Thursday, July 29, 1999

Saving the Rainforest


There is a rainforest on this island! As soon as I found out, I wanted to go. I am so passionate about saving the rainforest. I imagined what it would be like to be surrounded by this entity I have been obsessing about in NYC for the past year!.

Andy and Theo hoped to see the Killi Killi bird, but I was hoping for some answers. I meditated before we drove up to the top of the mountain there that I would be open to the answers. I prayed that I would hear the wise voice of entity that is 30 million years old. I hoped that it would be clear on what I should do to save the rainforests. I have been lost at what exactly I should or could be doing about the destruction of the rainforest.

The earth has many ecological problems, but I believe none is greater than the protection of the Rainforests of the world. It is the air we breathe, it is the lungs of the earth. In addition, there are millions of species that are killed to extinction. Species that have the right to exist, but also might be a unknown cure. The situation is so alarming to me, I just don’t think everyone knows the urgency. I think if everyone knew that it was serious, they would change their lifestyles accordingly and donate their time and money to environmental organizations.

My generation seems to be apathetic and have a general hopelessness. We are the age group that was raised by idealistic hippies (my parents) and then became depressed and angry by the lack of changes. Look at our popular music: Nirvana and Pearl Jam. I will never allow myself to feel hopeless. Either the destruction of this planet’s ecosystem and temperature raising will occur as a massive cleansing and we will cease to exist in this form – or – we need to fight to save this planet!

I had a large-scale plan to save the rainforest that comprised of mostly education and organizing all rainforest groups to create a powerful voice to put pressure on political powers to make it illegal to sell rainforest. All further deforestation would be illegal for any logging, to make room for cattle or for any reason! Non-profit fundraisers for the rainforests are well intended, but have not made an impact on changes.

With all this on my mind, we entered the rainforest. It was wet and cool. I wore everything I owned and was still cold. I found it amazing that such a different climate could exist just minutes away from the tropical beach we call home. We saw many birds, bugs, plants, and trees. It was different than I expected. I thought it would look like it was 30 million years old and more like a jungle, with vines and monkeys.

Eddie was making his usually jokes. He cannot help it; he is a very funny person. I was not in the mood for humor. It felt important to me to be here and I wanted to listen to any messages of enlightenment. I saw a mahogany tree and didn’t recognize it, though I know what it looks like as a table. I know they are endangered trees and I went up to be close to it. My friends were beginning to think I was seriously crazy, but I asked them to leave me there while I talked to the tree.

I asked it, what does a person like me do? I have passion, heart & insight. But I don’t have the power to change things; really what do I have the power of? I have the power over my reality, my conscious and my actions. There must be so many others out there like me. What do they do with these concerns? It is becoming increasingly difficult to imagine myself returning to my old lifestyle in New York City. The purpose of life in NYC seems so out of context to life at the moment. I need some solutions for peace of mind.

The tree was very compassionate with my frenzied plea. The tree told me I was on my journey and that something big was about to happen to me that would change the course of my life, but don’t be afraid. The tree said that the destruction of the rainforests is an important issue, but there is a larger issue for human’s to be concerned about. The tides will change, the next generation will care and they will begin to care about saving the planet in about 20 years.

When my friends returned, I could hardly speak of this super-natural experience. Nature actually answered me! It was clear and it was comforting. How could I tell them that the tree spoke to me? No one would believe me. But why not? Why don’t we speak to trees?

That night, I told them everything. How could I not? Turns out, they told me it was beautiful.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment