Tuesday, July 20, 1999

Eddie's Opportunity

Though each new day brings a bounty of gifts, some I cherish more than others. I can’t believe the lesson I was given today, especially after yesterday’s entry. No, I am still deliriously in love with my boyfriend, its just that he might be leaving me. I better start off at the beginning of this story.

I know I have grown exponentially each time I have been given a difficult lesson that I initially resist. However, I have grown accustomed to this carefree, island lifestyle that I have been living lately. Today, I don’t want to be challenged, I want yesterday. My mind couldn’t be further away from NYC and the pressures of my old lifestyle. I hadn’t even explored the concept of ever moving back, but now I do not have the luxury of casually investigating the notion. Decisions have to be made and I have been freaked out all day.

While I was casually playing in the sand and sun, Eddie was checking our messages from a lady on the other side of the island. Our form of communication is archaic, in a modern way; we have a friend with a fax machine on the other side of the island who accepts the few that we have received. It was Eddies’ relationship and desire to have this connection to life off the island. I gave the number to my friend Gary only, in case of extreme emergencies only. All the messages are for Eddie always, so I don’t even bother making the trip over to the other side of the island.

The news was about Eddie’s big business opportunity and it was finally moving forward. If he wanted to still take the big break, he would have to be in NYC within 2 weeks!  He wants to take it and wants me to move back with him!  Quite simply, I am devastated. I do not want him to go and I do not want to go back to NYC right now, either.

Eddie thinks I am crazy to not be happy for him. I want to give him what he wants, but not this. It has made me sick to my stomach.

To solve this dilemma, we decided to take a vacation!  We impulsively left to go to our old home of Rogue’s Bay to clear our heads. So, here I am watching my love cook me dinner. Here we are, after we left our free and gorgeous brownstone in NYC to paying pennies to live in a treehouse in the Caribbean to sleep in a volcanic cave. Here we are in my favorite place in the world, taking a vacation from the stresses of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment